Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wake Up, Textbook Publishers... We're Demanding More!!

Dan Meyer on Textbooks (click here!)

I LOVE Dan Meyer's blog... and I have been following it for some time! I can't remember how I initially learned of Mr. Meyer's contributions to the world of secondary math education, but I vividly remember how relieved I was the first time I read his blog... he advocates for teachers who strive to bring relevance into the mathematics classroom, and his no-nonsense approach is like taking in a deep breath of fresh air! I came across the blog post referenced above as I was weeding through my plethora of Twitter updates and RSS feeds for the day (I have to do this from home, mind you, but I will save that for another day), and I nearly cried... not literally, but I have never felt more validated!! I hope that you will take the time to read it...

With the pending implementation of the Common Core standards, the first question I am always asked is, "what are we going to do about textbooks?" Nothing. Why? Because I refuse to invest any more money into textbooks that are not aligned to the standards, do not hold students accountable for specific performance expectations, fall short of bringing true mathematical experiences to the math classroom, and fail to embrace the power of technology and the limitless possibilities when enhancing math education!!!! Why would you want another textbook that you would ultimately have to supplement, any way? You have been complaining about this very issue since we first adopted the current textbook more than five years ago!!! To refuse to keep doing the same thing, knowing that it doesn't work, is not a novel concept... Albert Einstein, himself, quoted, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!" While it may have come from a rocket scientist, it's just good sense!

And then, my favorite is, "how are we going to implement a new curriculum without a textbook?" Well, the textbook really has nothing to do with the curriculum... THE TEXTBOOK IS NOT THE CURRICULUM!! Do I understand the power that a textbook holds in the hands of a beginning teacher who is learning their way around a classroom... absolutely! But I also know that a positive mentor teacher, with years of experience and educational wisdom to share is far more powerful than any textbook put together by publishers who have never been in a math classroom! Do I understand the frustration many teachers share when it comes to providing practice problems, when textbooks don't measure up and there is no money to pay for copies... of course! But are we really going to advocate the use a substandard textbook to ensure access to hundreds of rote skill practice problems, that can never be used to assess true mastery and understanding?? It just doesn't make sense to do so... financially or educationally! The textbook is a tool, and since it never aligned to the old curriculum, it won't hurt to use it until someone designs a book that correlates to the needs and desires of secondary mathematics!! Is this a hard sale... sure... but it is one I am willing to put my game face on for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment